Friday, April 12, 2013

Mills, Hammond Earn Arc Foundation Scholarships

Congratulations to Jessica Hammond, of Wyoming, and Anne Mills, of Geneseo, The Arc of Livingston-Wyoming Foundation's 2013 scholarship winners.

Anne Mills (left) and Jessica Hammond
Each year, The Arc Foundation celebrates the commitment of young people toward people with disabilities by awarding scholarships of $2,000 each to graduating high school seniors from Wyoming and Livingston Counties. 

Pavilion High School's Jessica Hammond intends to pursue a career as a special education teacher. "I plan on getting my master's in special education," she explains.  "It is my hope to work with both physically and mentally challenged students in some sort of school setting."

Throughout high school, Jessica has participated in soccer, basketball, softball, National Honor Society, chorus, and Girls Service League.  In the community, she is active in her church, and was a team captain for the Walk Now for Autism Speaks fundraising event.

"My cousin is just one of the 1 million Americans living with Autism today," she says.  "(He) inspired me to become a special education teacher because of the changes I have seen in him in the past few years.  I hope to go into this field and help to positively change the lives of children with physical/mental disorders, because they too deserve the chance to become fully functional members of society."

Geneseo High School's Anne Mills' goal is to teach special education in an inclusive environment.  "My career plans include being an inclusive education teacher either in a school setting, hospital, or nursing home," she explains.  "(I would like to) help people with developmental disabilities by providing a safe and stimulating environment for them to live and grow in."


Anne has been active in Girl Scouts, Student Council, volleyball, track & field, cheerleading, and Valley School of Dance.  She is a recipient of the Elite Athlete Award and "Triple C" Award for Courage, Commitment, and Character.

Anne has volunteer experience with her church, Strong Memorial Hospital, Council on Alcohol and Substance Abuse (CASA), Together Including Every Student (TIES), and the National Down Syndrome Buddy Walk.  In 2010 and 2012, she was a Special Education Intern at Geneseo Elementary School.

"I've always put the people I am working with first," she says.  "The relationships that I form with these students is the most rewarding.  The smiles that I receive make all of my volunteering and time spent worthwhile."

No comments:

Post a Comment